9 Facts about Spain
- 72% of Spain speak Spanish. The rest speak Catalan, Galician, Basque and others.
- La Tomatina is an annual festival held in Spain where thousands of people throw thousands of tomatoes at each other.
- The world’s oldest existing lighthouse is the tower of Hercules, in Spain which was erected in the first century and still operational.
- 43% of the world’s olive oil is produced in Spain.
- There is a zip wire connecting Spain and Portugal. It is 2356ft(720m) and is 60 seconds long.
- The USA has more Spanish speakers than Spain.
- Over 16,000 religious festivals across Spain are said to involve animal cruelty. About 60,000 animals die every year.
- Spain was the third most visited country in the world in 2013.
- The national anthem of Spain has no words.